Thursday, September 24, 2009

Idiodic Sayings: Who came up with "flying low to the ground"?

I have found myself to be quite busy as of late. I could list off all of these things occupying my time, but that's actually pretty irrelevant. I've always had a to-do list that has been stupidly long, which is probably another post all on its own. And besides, everyone has their own versions of busy that keep them going.

Anyhoo, as I've been catching up with people, talking about the busy, the phrase "I'm flying low to the ground" keeps being used as a reference that someone is super-busy. I've used it, other people have used it. Then I started thinking about it. It's actually a pretty dumb phrase. I have no flying experience, and I'm pretty certain than most people I've heard say this don't have any flying experience either. And when I say flying experience, I mean being at the controls, not being in the back trying to maneuver past the drink cart 'cause ya gotta go pee again.

The only thing I can think would be busy about flying low to the ground is that you'd be steering like crazy trying to dodge whatever building, tree, person, car, or utility pole you're about to hit. But that's actually contrary to the busy being referred to. When I'm busy, it's because I'm DEALING with the issues coming at me, not dodging them. So, yeah, if I'm flying a plane, and mowing down whatever's in my path, then yeah, I suppose it's a great saying. But I have yet to see any low-flying planes do that.. and I live close to a busy regional airport where if you going to see something like that, it would be there. So, my verdict is: this saying is idiotic, and I'm retiring it from my vocabulary.

That being said, I'm loathe to just complain without offering a solution. So, with credit to a good friend of mine..
.
"How are things?"
"I'm busier than a one-legged man in a ass-kicking contest."

2 comments:

  1. Wait, if a pilot is dodging large objects, then that pilot is piloting...

    So, the pilot is in fact dealing with part of their job description: take off, gab to passengers through speakers, get free stuff from attendants, dodge stuff that's in the way, land without killing everyone.

    I'm countering your deletion of this goofy phrase from your vocab with an addition of it to my own.

    So, this week has been crazy... wait for it... I'm flying low to the ground.

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's actually good that you're adopting that phrase into your vocabulary. Homeless slang can end up wandering the streets, vandalizing, joining gangs... it's dreadful.

    ReplyDelete